IELTS 9-Band Scale Reworded for Haiku Science Academy Branding
(Haiku Science Academy) This compilation of research will be used as the guide for descriptors in the final 9-Stage Frame (9-Step Frame) for Developing English as a Second Language (DEAL).
The HSA DEAL 9-Step Frame is in the following form:
A- Pre-Elementary | A1- Elementary | A2- Upper Elementary
B- Pre-intermediate | B1- Intermediate | B2- Upper Intermediate
C- Pre-advanced | C1- Advanced | C2- Upper Advanced (Fluent)
Following is an expansion on the suggestion of elementary, intermediate, and advanced levels from L.G. Alexander in New Concept English; the A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2 levels from the CEFR; and the descriptions taken directly from the IELTS Guide for Institutions 9-Scale Band.
- A- Pre-Elementary: Essentially has no ability to use the language beyond possibly a few isolated words.
- A1- Elementary: No real communication is possible except for the most basic information using isolated words or short formulae in familiar situations and to meet immediate needs. Has great difficulty understanding spoken and written English.
- A2- Upper Elementary: Conveys and understands only general meaning in very familiar situations. Frequent breakdowns in communication occur.
- B- Pre-intermediate: Basic competence is limited to familiar situations. Has frequent problems in understanding and expression. Is not able to use complex language.
- B1- Intermediate: Has partial command of the language, coping with overall meaning in most situations, though is likely to make many mistakes. Should be able to handle basic communication in own field.
- B2- Upper Intermediate: Has generally effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriacies and misunderstandings. Can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations.
- C- Pre-advanced: Has operational command of the language, though with occasional inaccuracies, inappropriacies and misunderstandings in some situations. Generally handles complex language well and understands detailed reasoning.
- C1- Advanced: Has fully operational command of the language with only occasional unsystematic inaccuracies and inappropriacies. Misunderstandings may occur in unfamiliar situations. Handles complex detailed argumentation well.
- C2- Upper Advanced (Fluent): Has fully operational command of the language: appropriate, accurate and fluent with complete understanding.
The IELTS 9-band scale learning level descriptions are to be reworded for branding of the HSA 9-step frame in a separate publication.